Tuesday, February 17, 2015

BEYOND THE BLUE HORIZON

The two men dance, energetically aggressive yet warily cautious..... moving in a circle, staring into each others eyes with a steely determination while striking a delicate balance between throwing a punch – a jab, an uppercut, a hook - and blocking a punch – a jab, an uppercut, a hook. Each hoping beyond hope that he can spot some weakness and drop the “big one.”- BOOM!! It's brutal and dangerous yet, to me, breathtaking and thrilling as well. I've been a boxing fan since I watched the Gillette Friday Night Fights with my dad back in the 50's. He loved “da fights”so I loved “da fights.” I kept loving “da fights” through all of the changes that life has provided me the options to make over the ensuing 60 or so years. That love for “da fights” is still the one constant, no matter what else is going on. I was fortunate, throughout my career, to have lived in a couple of great cities for boxing.....Philadelphia and Chicago. I was also privy to the “right people” so that, in both cities, I was able to go to any fight card I wanted and sit ringside. Amazing seats right on the ring apron. Each time they swing their heads, the combination of blood, sweat and tears sprays onto the table in front of you and the sounds of the punches vary depending on the velocity and the ferocity of each one. You're almost close enough to feel the impact of every jab and every hook. It's very “Hemingway romantic.” Of all the venues I had the pleasure to frequent – frequently – my all time favorite was The Blue Horizon on N. Broad St. in Philadelphia. “The Ring”magazine voted it the number-one boxing venue in the world, and Sports Illustrated noted it as the last great boxing venue in the country. Bobby "Boogaloo" Watts, Willie 'the Worm' Monroe, my pal and, at the time, soon to become WBC Light Heavyweight Champion of the World, Mike “the Jewish Bomber” Rossman and a middleweight who couldn't get a title fight because, whoever the champion happened to be, knew they would lose to yet to be called “Marvelous” Marvin Hagler. One of the most dangerous guys in the ring. I saw Duran fight there when he was still a Lightweight. Over the years he became Welterweight, a Middleweight and a Super Middleweight. I saw him try to make a comeback during his heavier years and thought, “No Mas” should have been more than just a way to stop getting his ass kicked by Ray Leonard. His time had come and gone.....two or three times. The Blue Horizon was the perfect venue for the “sweet science.” 1,500 seats was just intimate enough that almost every seat felt like a ringside seat and ringside seats felt like you were in the squared circle with the combatants, bobbing and weaving and ducking every punch they threw. Better than watching on TV. I read that in June of 2010, The Blue Horizon closed because of tax problems. In 2011, a plan was announced to build an $18 million dollar hotel and restaurant complex in the area. Plans called for The Blue Horizon to be demolished to make way for – wait for it..................a parking garage. I would love to be introduced to the guy who made that decision so I could shake his hand and say, “Nice to meet you. Now........Lllllleeeeeet's get ready to rumble...........”

No comments:

Post a Comment