Monday, July 13, 2015

HIGHEST OF HIGHS

As I was digging, recently, into the recesses of my memory to locate a few high points in my life, I realized that the recesses weren't where I wanted to be. There's nothing there. That's why they're called recesses. My mental “SIRI” recalculated and I soon began to find high point after high point after high point. It didn't appear that I had ever had anything to be pissed off or depressed about. I did a lot of, what many would consider to be, neat stuff. I got to spend time with rock stars, writers, actors, athletes, scientists, philosophers and even a politician or two. Three times with a President of the United States. It was the nature of the beast and I learned, in short order, that these folk of note were no different than anyone else, outside of the opportunity to act like an asshole in front of a lot more people at any given time. I met some extremely cool people who did not disappoint and a number who did. They were all high points. I had had 42 years of growth in my industry and was practically enjoying high points on a daily basis. Which showed me that, in order to find that special moment, I had to look outside of my morning show experience. After I left ABC, I wasn't getting a lot of offers that would have made any sense when it came to supporting my family. It wasn't long before I realized that my “music radio” days, were, for any number of reasons, over. It was time to try and reinvent myself at the age of 60. But, I wasn't sure in which direction to turn. I knew that I had always paid attention to the news. The fact that I like to be informed mattered less that the fact that I HAD to keep up with current affairs so I'd have things to talk about on the morning show. You have to be informed if you want to compete and, in those days, radio was still a competitive medium. I was hired to work at a small company that was attempting to pioneer stock market news and programming exclusively on the internet. We are, of course, at a point now where practically everyone and their respective mothers have a podcast but, Market News First was one of the first. It could have been the best had it not been for the small technicality of stock manipulation. It didn't last long but they DID allow me to develop a morning news show so that I was able to give myself a basic lesson in news anchoring. I enjoyed it so, I figured the most logical next step would be to try and get an anchor job on the radio somewhere. It was a medium that I knew better and felt more comfortable with than in front of a camera. Unfortunately, I had nothing to send out in the way of a news audition tape. I could have done a “dummy” tape but I had no access to a studio and technology had not yet provided the affordable “home studio” capabilities that now make all those aforementioned podcasts possible. The best I could do was a tape from a smooth jazz station where I had worked a part time weekend shift while trying to keep our heads above water. I sent it to the #1 news station in Dallas, the #5 market in the country, knowing full well that the news director was going to get a pretty good laugh out of the concept and shove the tape into “file 13.” That was exactly what he did but before he threw the tape in the trash, he called his assistant news director into his office to share the hilarity. “Listen to this,” he said, “you're not gonna believe the balls on this guy.” She listened but rather than laughing, she said, “I know him. I taught with him at a broadcasting school and he is a real pro with a pretty impressive resume. He'll be a really quick study and we could use an anchor on the weekends.” The next day, the news director called and offered me a Sunday shift. It would be a great spot for me to learn about news anchoring while not putting the station into any ratings jeopardy. We then had a good laugh about my “smooth jazz” audition tape. I was the Sunday afternoon anchor for about 6 months and during that time, the most important lesson I learned was to pay close attention to everything. There was an awful lot to learn about gathering, writing and anchoring an objective and professional news cast. It was right about that time that the corporation that owned the radio station was bought by one of the other 2 or 3 corporations that are now controlling the industry. One of their first moves was to eliminate staff including the radio stations regular, weekday, afternoon drive anchor. One of the most important slots on the air. The news director was in a bind and called me into his office. “Look,” he began, “we have to find an afternoon anchor and I feel that you have learned enough to fill in until we can find someone. Think you can handle it?” “I'm sure I can” I replied, not at all sure if I could. I was pumped because this would give me more hours which I desperately needed to help pay the bills and I could learn more about what was becoming a real fun and interesting job. I became a sponge. I took in anything and everything I could about the machinations of a big time radio station newsroom. And I learned my lessons well. It wasn't long before I was re-called into the office where the news director said, “It looks like we've found our permanent afternoon anchor. The pay is embarrassing but if you would like the job we'd like to have you with us full time.” I, of course, accepted immediately and called my wife with the thrilling news that I was the new afternoon anchor on the #1 news station in the market, adding, “but the pay sucks so, if you wouldn't mind - hang on to your job for a bit.” It was while I was working in the newsroom that, perhaps, the high point of my career came along. A bucket list item that I never imagined would be at the end of the path I had traveled to that point. It was November 4, 2008. Election Day. History was about to be made and I was about to be given the opportunity to be part of the big picture. I had finished my anchor shift at 7pm and the election results were beginning to roll in. I was handed a reporting assignment, which was rare for anchors but it was election day and the regular staff of reporters was being spread a bit thin. “Go to Denton,” I was told, “and hit both party headquarters and call in county returns results. Then, as a decision nears, go to the bars and other hangouts near the college and get reaction.” I watched the results trickle in from around the county and phoned in my reports but I was at a coffee shop very near the school when it became apparent that Barack Obama was the winner and the nation now had it's first Black President. History was made in a way that I never thought I would see in my life time. I got the last of my audio, got in my car and cried. I then drove home and checked “Be a news reporter covering a monumental history making election” off my bucket list. Highest of high points – achieved. .

No comments:

Post a Comment