Friday, July 5, 2013

A CHAIR IS NOT ALWAYS A CHAIR

Words come with pictures. When a word is spoken, in order to understand it's meaning, we see it in our minds eye and that image explains the speakers intent so that we know how to react. When you hear the word “house,” what's the first thing that comers to mind? I'm going to venture an educated guess and say, probably, real estate. Even though this is a very subjective question, I suppose there are any number of “correct” answers - “Many welcomed the extra help for first-time buyers of new houses,” “The merchandise was offered to a reputable auction house” “He wears the ankle bracelet because he is under house arrest,” “People who live in glass houses.......” you get the idea.. There are dozens of uses that will bring dozens of responses. They will, pretty much, all relate to dwellings. That's why I confused myself when logic refused to prevail and my first thought was......Reggae music. Pretty convoluted, huh? Let me attempt to explain. As a rock & roll disc jockey for nearly 50 years, one begins to think in terms of the music one has played on a daily basis for all that time. You start to see the world in song titles and lyrics. So, when someone says “houses,” my first thought is “Houses of the Holy,” the 1973 Led Zeppelin album with the song “D'yer Mak'er,” the reggae based tune with a title derived from the phonetic spelling of the British pronunciation of "Jamaica." Led Zeppelin was the first, but not the last thought that came to mind. Dionne Warwick slipped into my head as well, as I began to sing (thankfully, to myself), “A House is Not a Home,” a song that, some may argue, evokes an image of Luther Vandross. For those of us unfortunate enough to think in these terms, the pictures differ depending on our ages and experiences. Perhaps, now that I've brought it up, you are hearing a song too. It could be “Brick House” by the Commodores, John Cougar Mellencamps “Pink Houses,” or “Our House,” by Crosby, Stills, Nash and, sometimes, Young. If you're a little older, perhaps the song is “House of the Rising Sun,” by the Animals and if you're a lot older, maybe it's Rosemary Clooney singing “Come Ona My House.” Oh.....and, for that ear worm I just gave you........you're very welcome. For most people, words come with images that are pretty standard as a means of understanding and they are able to respond accordingly . My wife just yelled to me that breakfast was ready. When you heard the word “breakfast,” I'll bet you saw bacon, eggs, toast and juice. I went to YouTube because I suddenly got the urge to hear some “Supertramp.” THAT'S HOW I FEEL................................................WHAT CAN I TELL YA'

No comments:

Post a Comment