Monday, August 31, 2009

By Request

Having spent a good portion of the weekend suffering from a massive case of writers block, I decided that the best way to come up with a topic to write about would be to take a trip to facebook to talk to my friends about the problem. I would ask them for suggestions and, as I did for more than 4 decades as a morning show host in music radio, I would take requests. That being said, this weeks blog is an all request commentary made up entirely of topics provided by you, my facebook friends. And I thank you profusely for, at least doing some of my work for me. With that in mind, let’s take a look at the top 5 suggestions.

#5. Ken says the topic should be the upcoming switch to digital tv.
This seems to be a natural progression for our time and place in history and technology. If you are still watching a tv with rabbit ears in 2009, you probably wouldn’t be watching tv. You’d be too busy mowing your lawn with one of those old push mowers while your laundry is drying on the clothes line. Besides, if you don’t convert your tv to digital, it will automatically become a radio that gets no stations. Kind of like the days of push lawn mowers and clothes lines.
Everything is digital. Even “I Love Lucy” is broadcast digitally.

#4. Vicki wanted to talk about the job situation. Here is a professional woman who had been laid off after many years and was now in a job interview with hundreds of others for a part-time clerical job. She was one of nine chosen to face the inquisition. Not being prepared for this intense grilling, she didn’t get the job. I understand, when they whittled it down to the final three, they checked their teeth too. Gotta make sure a good work horse is healthy. Having been in that situation myself, I can attest to the fact that it can make one feel like an analog tv in a digital world.

#3. Wendy brought up the inequity in our society when comes to pay. She brought up actors and supermodels making literal fortunes for each job while caregivers are struggling to pay their bills. She specifically mentioned nurses and psychologists. My gripe has always been with the multi-millions paid to some clown who takes too many steroids so he can hit a baseball a mile and a half while the teacher who made sure his butt got through school with passing grades can’t afford a ticket to the ballgame to watch him hit that mile and a half home run. Something is wrong with that picture.

#2. Teresa was looking for helpful hints for raising teenagers. Well, having raised 4 through their teenage years and currently dealing with a 14 year old in the house, I can truthfully say…..there aren’t any. Get used to watching your hair turn grey, your blood pressure go up and I won’t even go into the stomach aches. The best piece of advice I can give at this point, hold your breath until it’s over. You’ve only got one kid and you can’t have THAT many years left. How bad can it be?

#1. This came from Chris, whose suggestion was to write about the spin cycle on the washing machine. Honestly, I have no opinion about that. It’s not anything that I feel I could know well enough without going through the wash and rinse cycles first, and, the last time I tried that, I broke the washing machine. Besides, I have a clothes line.

THAT’S HOW I FEEL………………………….WHAT CAN I TELL YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment