Monday, August 31, 2009

A Newbie No More

The last time I wrote about Facebook, I was in awe of its possibilities, but was still googling myself and checking e-mail. The prowess was still in its early stages of formation. I had figured out how to log in and put up a picture, but, spending time with anything makes one an expert of sorts.
The inroads that I have made with this little networking wonder have been very satisfying, indeed. I have found friends that I haven’t even thought of for what seems to be a lifetime….oh, wait…it is.
I found Art and Mike and another Art, who attended the Berklee School of Music in Boston. He was a brilliant organist. We were all kids growing up together in Manchester, Ct. These connections brought back wonderful memories of riding our bikes on what we called “The Rollercoaster,” a winding path through the woods to the soda shop where we knew how to get the ball stuck ion the pinball machine and rack up the points and, consequently, free games. The “Setback” tournaments at the picnic table at Bowers School and the endless games of baseball. My back hurts just from the memories of bending down to field a grounder.
I found friends from the boarding school I was sent to in my sophomore year of high school, including my roommate Dave, who reminded me of how we would climb down the wall of the old Victorian building in Bristol, Ct. late at night, after lights out, to get donuts for our all night card games in the closet that would inevitably be raided by Mr. Costello, who would just, sort of, show up. We would never even hear the door. He was spooky and we were busted….every time.
I found cousins that I haven’t heard from or seen in forever. Robin, Wendy, Vikki, Jorma, Peter, Eric and Marc are all on facebook. So are Marlynn and Rene, the daughters of my Mom’s best friend who died way too young. The girls are like sisters. My brother Jon, much to his chagrin, is on facebook, even though he doesn’t know who set up his page and is reminding me of my days as a “newbie, as is his son Ben, who has now reconnected with my daughters Becky and Elise, his cousins, none of whom have seen each other in at least 6 years. My daughter Nikki is there too and I can keep with her quest to become a doctor, which ends in March. I am watching my granddaughters, Madison and Ava, grow up via facebook even though they are in Orlando and I am in Dallas.
I have been able to set up a group for my son, who made a horrible mistake and has now dedicated himself to preventing others from doing the same. This is probably the most rewarding aspect of all.
I have been networking with friends in the industry who, I ‘m sure, had forgotten that I even existed until now. We share stories, good and bad, but that’s just a part of it. I have been able to hook up friends who have lost their jobs with other friends who could, quite possibly, help them find new ones.
People I haven’t seen in forever say things like, “You look exactly the same,” gingerly leaving out the “just older and grayer” part. They do too.
Yes, facebook is a wonderful networking tool, social and otherwise, and I am finally feeling somewhat capable in this age of technology. Now, if I can only learn how to use my cell phone to do anything other than flipping it open to say “Hello.”

THAT’S HOW I FEEL…..WHAT CAN I TELL YA’

No comments:

Post a Comment