Monday, August 31, 2009

High Def

I recently bought a 32 inch, flat-panel TV. I bought it because my old TV started to get lines all over the picture. I had it for a long time and it’s time had finally come. I always wanted an HD TV so, that’s what I bought. I went home, plugged it in and turned it on. “Nice picture,“ I thought, but where was all this clarity that I’d been promised? I then realized that I had to turn to a special High Def channel, so I did, and there was nothing there. Not quite the quality I thought I’d get for that price. I picked up the phone and called the store back. The picture was just mediocre. Just like my old TV when it didn’t have lines. After he got me to calm down, he explained the obvious. Apparently, you can’t just plug this thing in and get a magnificent, breathtaking adventure. I was informed that I had to have digital cable, which I did, and then subscribe to the High Def. service at an extra cost, which I hadn‘t. I called the cable company who asked me if I had the special digital box needed for high definition. I didn’t. So, I had to get in the car and drive across town to wait in a long line at the cable company to exchange the box for a special digital box with high def. Well, I had just spent the day and too much money shopping for a flat panel HD TV that wasn’t giving me a very good picture and I wanted to watch it.
It was about an hour and a half later that I got home and figured out how to set up the box and the flat panel TV, making sure that the yellow cable wasn’t plugged into the red hole and all the rest of the technical acumen that was involved. And I turned it on. The picture hadn’t changed one iota. I was starting to get discouraged. I called the cable company back. Just to make sure all the wires were in the proper holes. They informed me that I had done everything properly and, as soon as I activated the service, I’ be ready to boogie. They assured me that I had nothing more to do than wait, as they would activate it for me. They had to so they could have a record and charge me more. Finally, done. I sat down, put up my feet and turned on my 32 inch, flat-panel, high-def TV. The picture was incredible.
And after all the time and expense…what I finally saw…was that there was nothing good on.

THAT’S HOW I FEEL……………………..WHAT CAN I TELL YA’

1 comment: